11 April 2011

Lola's Words #1: In life, you must be a winner!

My dear grandmother is 76 years old but acts and moves like she's a lot younger. My cousins and I would describe her as a "party girl" for her numerous nights out ballroom dancing. We would also describe her as maingay, which means noisy, because her presence is always known when she's at home with her constant chatter.

At the dining table, she's always dishing out advice on health, finance, relationships, and life in general. She has a way of speaking that is as if she is addressing the country.

A little while back, Lola, Tita Dayday, Tito Rey, and I were in the car just leaving after hearing mass on Sunday when Lola randomly declared that "in life, you must be a winner". Now I must admit, I am occasionally guilty of poking fun at some of the things that my dear Lola says. But it's all said in jest; not to hurt anyone's feelings. This was one of those times. I really couldn't help it but my mouth began speaking before I could stop myself and I said, "Yeah! Because God hates losers."

The way I interpreted it was that second best is never okay. But the way I see it, sometimes second best is the best you can do and you have to accept it rather than tear yourself up over it. But Lola explained what she meant:

In life, you must be a winner considering that you were created from the best egg and the fastest sperm. You've been a winner since birth! So congratulations to all you winners for making it this far!

High five!

Wish you were here!