17 April 2011

The Last Paper Postage Stamps?

Naga City has one post office which is located near City Hall. Is it like that all over the Philippines? Is there only one post office in each city.

A few weeks ago I went to the post office to mail some postcards and I was disappointed to discover that they don't use postage stamps! They just use an ink stamp to mark it as paid. In my opinion, the stamp you send your postcard with is just as visually important as the postcard itself. I guess this has become the standard because the ink is cheaper than the paper. When I asked about buying postage stamps they only had one design so I bought a sheet of those. It costs 13 PHP (0.30 CAD) to send one postcard internationally but these ones are worth 7 PHP each. I was hoping that they would have stamps worth 1 or 2 PHP each. It makes mail so much more colourful. The one on the right is dated from 2009! I wonder if these are the last paper stamps in circulation. Hey stamp collectors out there, do you think this is worth saving or should I use them?

Wish you were here!

UPDATE: 20 April 2011


I went to the post office yesterday to mail a letter and I asked again about stamps. They had more! My bad, they didn't stop making them after all! They must just be scarce sometimes.